1 Arris Rail Closeboard Fence Builder
- Please use your browser back button to return to webshop.
Everything you need to install your new 6ft high arris rail closeboarded fence.
The height of the feather edge boards you need will depend on if you are to fit a gravel board- deduct the height of your gravel board from your feather edge boards to get the height boards you need- so a 6ft high fence with a 6" gravel board needs 5ft 6" feather edge boards if you are not having a gravel board ( we recommend you do use a gravel board as this makes the feather edge board installation much easier) order 6ft feather edge boards. Please note all feather edge boards are a metric equivalent , 6ft = 1.8m, 5ft 6" = 1.65m.
WORK OUT WHAT MATERIALS YOU NEED
- Measure the length of your new fence run. To work out how many feather edge board you need (4 to each foot gives 1" overlap) if working in feet multiply your fence run in feet by 4, this gives you how many feather edge boards you need, if working in metric divide your fence run by 0.75, this again will give you how many feather edge board you need. From the drop-down menu, choose what height feather edge boards you need, select the quantity & add to your basket. CLEAR THE FEATHER EDGE OPTION DROP-DOWN MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Next step - Gravel boards, if working in feet divide your fence run by 10ft, if working in metres divide the fence run by 3m and this will give you the number of gravel boards you need, for part fence bays order an extra gravel board and cut to length during installation. All gravel boards come with a centre stump to fix to the bottom arris rail. From the drop-down menu, choose what style of gravel board you want to install, select the quantity & add to your basket. All gravel boards come with the appropriate fixing blocks for timber gravel boards or galvanised two-pin cleats for concrete gravel boards. CLEAR THE GRAVEL BOARD OPTION DROP-DOWN MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Next step - arris rails, the number of arris rails needed will be 3 times the number of gravel boards needed, you can choose to have scarfed ended arris rails for use with morticed posts, or you can you use standard 4x4 timber posts and use arris rail brackets, you need 2 arris rail brackets for each arris rail if not using morticed posts, so if you need 9 arris rails, you will need 27 arris rail brackets and so on. Choose what you need & add to your basket. CLEAR THE ARRIS RAIL OPTION DROP DOWN-MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Next step - Fence posts, if you are starting with a new post, you will need one more post than the number of gravel boards you need, if you are starting from a brick wall choose a morticed timber wall plate fixed to the brick wall and then you will need the same number of posts as gravel boards, if you are starting from an existing post you will need the same number of posts as gravel boards. From the drop-down menu, choose what style of fence post you want to install, select the quantity & add to your basket. Remember to add a corner post if you need one. CLEAR THE POST OPTION DROP-DOWN MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Next step – ballast and cement, you will need 1 x 20kg bag of ballast per post (large holes may need 2 bags), you will need 1 x 20kg bag of cement for every 4-5 bags of ballast you purchase. You can order postmix at 2 x bags per post from our shop if you would prefer to use postmix. From the drop-down menu, choose the number of bags of ballast and cement you need & add to your basket. CLEAR THE POST MIX OPTION DROP-DOWN MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Next step - Fixings, if you are installing all timber fencing, you will need 5x70mm timber screws for fixing the arris rails and gravel boards. Use 40mm galvanised wire nails for fixing the feather edge boards to the arris rails. On average a 500g bag of nails has 200 nails & a 1kg bag has 400 nails, each feather edge board will need 3 nails, multiply the number of feather edge boards by three and choose the nearest bag size of nails. Choose the fixings you need & add to your basket. CLEAR THE FIXINGS OPTION DROP-DOWN MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Single 6ft high x 900mm wide pedestrian gate- From the drop-down menu choose the style of gate you want, choose the hanging method you want (2 x posts, 1 x post + wall plate or 2 wall plates). Choose the gate and the hanging method you want & add to your basket. If you need a different size gate go to our gates for sale section. CLEAR THE GATE OPTION DROP-DOWN MENU TO NONE & PROCEED
- Fencing tools- from the drop-down menu choose the tools you need to install your fence, post hole diggers are essential to digging a perfect fence post size hole as is the fencer's graft, a string line is also essential to install your fence in a straight line. You will also need a 6ft level for the posts and gravel boards. Choose each tool you want individually & add to your basket.
Now you can visit your basket to check all the items you have purchased and to make sure you haven't forgotten anything before placing the order.
Please follow the ordering process and chose the relevant delivery cost for your location or choose to collect in-store. Once your order has been placed we will contact you by telephone for payment. By taking payment over the telephone we can be sure that what you have ordered is what you need, we can also give advice on the products you have purchased and how to install them correctly. Thank you for shopping with us at HAYMAC Fencing & Timber Buildings.