All of our Hobbyshop garden sheds are made in our works by our Carpenters. We do not 'buy-in' any of our timber buildings, and that allows us to ensure exceptional quality buildings are constructed only using the best quality materials and craftsmanship. With over 35yrs experience in timber building manufacture, we have managed to identify the key areas where many of our 'competitors' fail to provide the 'extras' needed to ensure your timber building will last for years.
Hobbyshop Workshop Specification - Sizes and heights will vary slightly depending on the size of building ordered.
Apex Roof Building
- Height to Apex- 2325mm (7ft 8") external, internal 2210mm (7ft 3")
- Height at eaves- 2105mm (6ft 11") external, internal 2050mm (6ft 9")
Pent Roof Building
- Height to high side on a Pent roof builidng- 2265mm (7ft 6") external, internal 2100mm (6ft 11")
- Height to low side on a Pent roof builidng- 2100mm external (6ft 11"), internal 1945mm (6ft 5")
- Building size is the floor base dimension in metres equivalent to imperial building size. Example 2.4m equivalent to 8ft.
- Frame material- actual 45mm x 45mm Tanalised timbers (prepared smooth finish), uprights at a maximum of 600mm centres.
- The external cladding is nominal 16mm x 125mm / actual 12mm x 120mm Tanalised sawfalling grade Redwood rebated shiplap - no one else uses the shiplap cladding we do as our shiplap is machined specifically for HAYMAC with an extra deep 13mm rebate to stop shrinkage inside the rebate and overlap joint causing problems. A black plastic weatherstrip is fitted beneath the bottom shiplap board to shed water away from the building floor base frame.
- 18mm thick Tanalised external corner weathering fillets.
- Full framed floor framework using structural grade C16 actual 45mm x 45mm Tanalised timbers (prepared smooth finish) with bearers at 300mm centres.
- The floor deck is 11mm OSB 3 (moisture resistant) floorboard sheeting. Many of our competitors use the same boards on the floor as they do on the external cladding. OSB 3 sheet flooring does not shrink or collect dirt in the joints and is much stronger.
- Do not let anyone suggest OSB3 sheeting is inferior to individual tongue & grooved boards as it is not, we have been building timber buildings for over 35 years and know what is best! OSB3 is used in the construction industry in houses for walls and roof decks, so it must be good enough for any garden outbuilding?
- Apex roof bearers are actual 45mm x 45mm Tanalised timbers (prepared smooth finish) at 400mm centres.
- Pent roof bearers are actual 45mm x 95mm Tanalised timbers (prepared smooth finish) at 400mm centres.
- A roof truss is installed at maximum 1.8m intervals along the length of the building to avoid roof 'sagging' on apex roof buildings. Pent roof builidngs have upgraded roof timbers to 95mm deep to avoid roof sagging.
- The roof deck is 11mm OSB 3 (moisture resistant) structural sheet boarding. An OSB 3 roof deck is superior to individual roof boards as the roof joints do not shrink which is the main cause of roof felt failure, as when the timber joint shrinks it puts stress on the roofing felt, causing it to crack. Do not let anyone suggest OSB3 sheeting is inferior to individual tongue & grooved boards as it is not, we have been building timber buildings for over 35 years and know what is best! OSB3 is used in the construction industry in houses for roof decks so it must be good enough for a garden building!
- The roof deck is covered with high strength, with an exceptional anti-tear property, Polyester based green mineral coated roof felt.
- Our roofing felt should not be confused with standard roof felt which tears very easily used by nearly all other timber building manufacturers as standard who only offer our roofing felt as an optional upgrade at extra cost.
- 12mm thick Tanalised prepared bargeboards with soffit boards fitted to the gable ends.
- 12mm thick Tanalised prepared fascia boards.
Windows and Doors
- Windows are made using a full-frame and window cill with 3mm agricultural glass. Option to upgrade to opening windows.
- Doors are ledged and braced using 35mm x 95mm prepared and Tanalised timber . The door is 1830mm high x 686mm wide and provides for a opening of 660mm wide x 1725mm high . Option to upgrade to wider single door. Option to upgrade to double doors. Double doors are 1372mm wide x 1830mm high and provide for a clear opening of 1320mm wide x 1725mm high.
- The door is clad using nominal 16mm x 125mm / actual 12mm x 120mm Tanalised sawfalling grade Redwood rebated shiplap and is hung using 12" medium weight galvanised Tee hinges with a 150mm galvanised Brenton Pad bolt and 2 x galvanised turn buttons.
- All of our Hobbyshops use fully Tanalised pressure treated timber for the framework, roof purlins, external cladding, bargeboards, floor bearers and corner weathering fillets. Tanalised timber provides effective protection against timber rot but is not water repellent and as such we recommend you treat the external timbers of your building using a suitable weatherproofing exterior grade paint. Please view our product care sheet on weatherproofing & painting for more information.
NO OTHER TIMBER BUILDING MANUFACTURER OFFERS OUR SPECIFICATION AS STANDARD AT OUR PRICES!