All of our workshops are made in our works by our carpenters. We do not 'buy-in' any of our timber buildings, and that allows us to ensure exceptional quality buildings are constructed only using the best quality materials and craftsmanship. With over 35yrs experience in timber building manufacture, we have managed to identify the key areas where many of our 'competitors' fail to provide the 'extras' needed to ensure your timber building will last for years.
Proshop Workshop Specification - sizes and heights will vary slightly depending on the size of building ordered.
Apex Roof Building
- Height to Apex - 2380mm external, internal 2210mm
- Height at eaves - 2135mm external, internal 2050mm
Pent Roof Building
- Height to high side on a Pent roof builidng - 2300mm external, internal 2100mm
- Height to low side on a Pent roof builidng - 2030mm external, internal 1945mm
- Building size is the floor base dimension in metres equivalent to imperial building size. Example 2.4m equivalent to 8ft.
- Frame material - Tanalised prepared smooth timbers to finish an actual size of 70mm x 34mm, uprights at a maximum of 400mm centres.
- The framework is clad with Novia Ultra breathable waterproof lining sheeting before cladding installation. Novia Ultra lining sheeting allows moist air to pass from inside the building out through the lining but stops moisture from penetrating from the outside.
- The external cladding is nominal 16mm x 125mm/actual 12mm x 120mm Tanalised sawfalling grade Redwood rebated shiplap - no one else uses the shiplap cladding we do as our shiplap is machined specifically for HAYMAC, with an extra deep 13mm rebate to stop shrinkage inside the rebate and overlap joint causing problems. A black plastic weatherstrip is fitted beneath the bottom shiplap board to shed water away from the building floor base frame.
- 18mm thick Tanalised external corner weathering fillets.
- Full framed floor framework using Tanalised prepared smooth timbers to finish an actual size of 70mm x 34mm with bearers at 300mm centres.
- The floor deck is 15mm OSB 3 (moisture resistant) structural sheet boarding. Many of our competitors use the same boards on the floor as they do on the external cladding. OSB 3 sheet flooring does not shrink, collect dirt in the joints and is much stronger.
- Do not let anyone suggest OSB3 sheeting is inferior to individual tongue & grooved boards as it is not, we have been building timber buildings for over 35 years and know what is best! OSB3 is used in the construction industry in houses for walls and roof decks, so it must be good enough for any garden outbuilding?
- Roof bearers are Tanalised prepared smooth timbers to finish an actual size of 70mm x 34mm at 300mm centres.
- Pent roof bearers are Tanalised prepared smooth timbers to finish an actual size of 45mm x 95mm at 300mm centres.
- A roof truss is installed at maximum 1.8m intervals along the length of the building to avoid roof 'sagging' on Apex roof buildings. Roof trusses are made using a minimum of actual 45mm x 95mm Tanalised structural C16 grade timber. Pent roof builidngs have upgraded roof timbers to 95mm deep to avoid roof sagging.
- The roof deck is 11mm OSB 3 (moisture resistant) structural sheet boarding . An OSB 3 roof deck is superior to individual tongue & grooved roof boards as the roof joints do not shrink which is the main cause of roof felt failure, as when the timber joint shrinks it puts stress on the roofing felt, causing it to crack. Do not let anyone suggest OSB3 sheeting is inferior to individual tongue & grooved boards as it is not, we have been building timber buildings for over 35 years and know what is best! OSB3 is used in the construction industry in houses for roof decks, so it must be good enough for a garden building?
- The roof deck is covered with high strength, with an exceptional anti-tear property, Polyester based green mineral coated roof felt.
- Our roofing felt should not be confused with standard roof felt which tears very easily used by nearly all other timber building manufacturers as standard who only offer our roofing felt as an optional upgrade at extra cost.
- 18mm thick Tanalised prepared bargeboards and fascias with soffit boards fitted to the gable ends.
- The fascia boards are designed with a 30mm drip bar at the top for the roofing felt to lip over, allowing easy installation of guttering.
Windows and Doors
- Windows are made using a full-frame and window cill with 3mm agricultural glass. Option to upgrade to opening windows.
- Doors are fully framed, ledged and braced with a door cill fitted to the bottom of the door opening frame which the door shuts on. The door is 700mm wide x 1780mm high, the door opening provides for a clear opening of 660mm wide x 1740mm high. Option to upgrade to wider and taller door. Option to upgrade to double doors. Double doors provide for a clear opening of 1360mm wide x 1740mm high, the actual double door is 1400mm wide x 1780mm high.
- The door is clad using nominal 19mm x 100mm/actual 16mm x 89mm Tanalised tongue & grooved vee joint (TGV) boarding and is hung using 2 x 18" medium weight galvanised Tee hinges with a 150mm galvanised Brenton pad bolt and 2 x galvanised turn buttons.
- All of our workshops use fully Tanalised pressure treated timber for the framework, cladding, bargeboards, fascias, floor bearers and corner weathering fillets. Tanalised timber provides effective protection against timber rot but is not water repellent and as such we recommend you treat the external timbers of your building using a suitable weatherproofing exterior grade paint. Please view our product care sheet on weatherproofing & painting for more information.